Full info and AstroMaster Registration
AstroMaster La Palma Workshop 2016Dates: 21 -26 Sept 2016
Workshop | Lecturer | AstroLaPalma.com | La Palma | Topics | Requirements | Fees | Registration
REGISTRATION OPEN 16 May 2016 for the 5th edition of the AstroMaster. Organised by AstroLaPalma.com with TWAN (twanight.org).
Workshop | Lecturers | AstroLaPalma.com | La Palma | Topics | Requirements | Fees | Registration
About the WorkshopLearn Astrophotography and Secrets of Nightscape and Timelapse Imaging. Improve your photo editing and processing skills. Aimed at photographers & astronomers with some experience on digital photo processing and essentials of digital photography.
International annual workshop on astrophotography, secrets of nightscape and timelapse Imaging, and photo editing and processing skills, aimed for participants with some experience on digital photography and processing. AstroMaster attendees will receive instruction and knowledge about TWAN-style photography, also known as landscape astrophotography or nightscape (night sky landscape) imaging. They learn the latest processing techniques both on timelapse and still photography of night sky as well as instructions on how to plan and execute successful imaging sessions.
Participants: Minimum number 7. Language of workshop: English.
See a review of AstroMaster 2013 here. This was the 1st edition of the workshop.
About the Lecturer(TWAN), a group of outstanding international astrophotographers that aim to promote stunning nightscape photos and time-lapse videos of the world‚ landmarks against celestial attractions. Babak is a National Geographic photographer based in Boston (US), specialized in nightscape and timelapse imaging, connecting the Earth and sky, bridging art and science.
Workshop TopicsScheduled in 5 full intensive days (and nights), the AstroMaster workshop will train participants into many topics including:
- Definition of Nightscape Photography
- Best cameras, lenses, and accessories for low-light imaging
- Preparation, how to apply the latest tips and apps for planning your nightscape images
- Best celestial events and targets to photograph and when, where and how to shoot them
- From short exposure Milky Way and constellation images to long exposure star trails
- Using portable star trackers for deeper nightscape and astroimages
- How to use natural and artificial lights at night, from the moonlight to light-painting techniques
- Creating Panoramas, All-Sky images and Virtual Realities
- Creating timelapse videos of sky motion and night-day transitions
- Processing images and photo sequences in Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw, Lightroom, Adobe Premiere and LRTimelapse.
For best performance at the AstroMaster workshop, participants need to bring to La Palma the following:
- At least one Digital SLR camera or an equivalent mirrorless camera with long exposure and high ISO imaging capabilities with acceptable noise at ISO 1600-3200.
- At least one wide angle lens in the range of 10mm to 24mm, best to be a fast optical system of f2.8 or better.
- A solid tripod is essential for night photography, specially on a windy night at the edge of La Palma crater.
- Extra batteries and memory cards
- Shutter release cable or intervalometer for timelapse imaging
LR Timelapse licenses will be provided for the duration of the workshop free of charge.
- Personal laptop with Photoshop or Lightroom. If needed the LRTimelapse license will be provided for the duration of the workshop free of charge.
- Hiking shoes and warm wind-proof Clothing. Temperatures can drop dramatically on top of the caldera due to the altitude of over 2400m (~ 8000 ft).
- Red headlight (no bright white light please!).
- Small notebook and pen for notes
- Sleeping Bag and inflatable mattress is a suggested optional equipment to rest during practical sessions. The alternative is to rest in the car.
- Beeing able to stay on high altitude (2450 m) for a while
Workshop PriceAlthough the schedule of the 6-day workshop is quite intensive (it includes some time off in the middle), there is enough time to enjoy the beaches and the wonderful nature of La Palma. We have designed a full package while on La Palma so participants can focus on lectures & practical sessions while the workshop offers theoretical and practical sessions, transportation, etc. However, if you wish to do so, you may book accommodation and meals separately.
PRICE for the package is: 1190 Euros*.
- Course Fees
- 4 Photo shooting excursions (practical sessions are weather permitting)
- Over 30 hours of theoretical sessions
- Visit to the Observatory at El Roque de Los Muchachos.
- Hot beverages and snacks at photo sessions
- Transport for practical sessions
- Insurance, tax & assistance**
*Course fees do not include meals during workshop or accommodation. We are currently negotiating group prices for meals/accommodation and also permissions for accommodation near the Observatory facilities (if granted participants may have to share rooms for 1-2 nights). Travel to the photoshooting sites can be tiring and we are trying to reduce driving time. Please do not book accommodation until this is sorted to avoid changes. For meals, due to the intensity of the workshop it is easiest (and faster) if you allow us to book meals as a group. The all of the workshop meal package (lunches+dinners including end-of-workshop dinner) would range from 150-200 EUR and accommodation would range between 250-700 EUR depending on your choice of hotel (individual basis). Both the meal package and accommodation package will be optional and payable separately but if above permissions are granted, they will be compulsory for 2 days (also to be payed separately from course). Detailed information about this will be provided in due course. Also you will be asked to provide dietary requirements then.
**European Participants are strongly advised to travel to La Palma with a valid European medical card. The Insurance will cover participants while in La Palma only (accident related to workshop). Participants are strongly adviced to get a suitable travel insurance from and to your place of origin and during workshop. Please notify any food allergies and altitude sickness.
**Up to two professional photography or filming students can register at 10% discount on course fees. Prove of ID required.
** Additional accommodation dates or family holidays are available on request.
OPEN for REGISTRATION: 16th May 2016
Steps for registration.
Step 1. Please read the information and conditions carefully. For any questions please fill the following questions form or email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2. For full registration please fill the following form (note that you will be asked for payment on this step): Registration for AstroMaster La Palma 2016.
Step 3. Wait for email confirmation after payment. After this step you may book your flights. We always recommend you to acquire flexible (refundable) tickets in case of changes. On previous editions, there have been participants who had decided to stay onwards on the island (as they´d liked it so much), while others have to leave early or had to cancel altogether.
Step 4. Stay tuned for information emails and start getting your gear ready. If you need to purchase batteries, memory cards and so on, do not leave this until the end and please do not expect to get them in La Palma. You will be asked about your previous experience in photography/astronomy before the workshop.
Step 5. Invoices will be sent on request for those claiming expenses.
Cancellations. We understand that your plans may change after registration. You may cancel with a 300 EUR cancelling fee if cancellation takes place before the 1st August. Cancellation requests made between dates up to 15th September will be charged with a 60% of the course fee. No refunds will be available for cancellations from 15th Sept. Please take this into account when you sign up for the workshop. In the event of cancellation on our part, all due to unexpected major events, such as but not limited to weather and natural calamities, you will be fully refunded except for 10% for management costs. In case of severe illness/accident of the instructor, we will notify you and we will substitute him by another photographer at TWAN. If this is short notice and it is not possible to rearrange and we are forced to cancel you will be fully refunded. Minimum number of participants is 7.
*NOTE: La Palma (SPC airport) is very well connected with mainland Europe by direct flights (from Spain, Germany, Netherlands) or with local flights (via Tenerife - TFS or TFN with BinterCanarias) and boat trip from the neighboring island of Tenerife (Naviera Armas or Fred Olsen companies). For tips on connections to La Palma at reasonable prices, please email us at email@example.com.